Friday, May 29, 2015

Every Picture Tells A Story

A little perspective and random POV on things that matter....

It's been a week in which I found myself battling an element of the lunatic fringe on Twitter - that same dumbass but vocal group of idiots who dispute rape statistics, argue that women routinely make false rape accusations, laugh at feminism, and dismiss equality for women as unimportant.  

Because it is also unbelievable that 160 politicians voted against the Violence Against Women Act....



Women are 1/2 of the world's population, working 2/3's of the world's working hours, receiving 10% of the world's income, and owning less than 1% of the world's property.


Something wrong with that picture........ 


And something right about this statement:

"Feminism isn't about making women stronger.  Women are already strong  It's about changing the way the world perceives that strength."   G.D. Anderson

And it was also a week in which a quote from a graduating high senior in Southern California - a quote on feminism and politics with a touch of satire - went viral.

“I need feminism because I intend on marrying rich and I can’t do that if my wife and I are making .75 cent for every dollar a man makes.”

And FYI- A May report in The Globe and Mail reported that women in Canada get paid about $8,000 a year less than men for equivalent work.  The numbers are similar in the United States where women make roughly 77 cents for every dollar a man makes, according to the White House.

Finally - for a little more perspective - check out The morning after I was raped I made my rapist breakfast

1 comment:

  1. Thank you.

    As always.

    The world is so fortunate to have your voice.

    ReplyDelete