Saturday, March 26, 2011

More Beliefs From The Edge

Thanks again for stopping by - I appreciate that you've taken the time to visit.  Without further drum rolls or fanfare, let's get at it.......I believe that politicians today have forgotten the art and skill required in compromise.  No matter what your political allegiance, it has become a landscape filled with "my way or no way" rheoteric on all sides.  The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution - 2 relatively meaningful documents in our history - were put together by men with strong opinions and divergent points of view, yet they hammered out the framework of our government by something called "give and take."  In other words: compromise.  I believe that leaders across all bodies of government, from small municipalities to our congressmen and senators would do well to re-visit some of those history lessons.  I believe that Robert Mitchum was one of the most under-rated actors of all time.  Same with Lee Marvin.  And despite his star power, Steve McQueen too.  Same for Michael Madsen today.  And in spite of the addictions, I believe that Tom Sizemore rates right up there too.  I believe that the things that don't kill you make you stronger, but they can also make you bitter.  Especially if you tend to hold a grudge.  I believe that writing is equal parts inspiration and perspiration, with a significant amount of time spent working at that craft.  But none of it means anything if that same writer doesn't sit his ass in a chair and actually write.  Consistently.  And often.  I believe that you can't beat the music of Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, or Charlie Parker on a cold, rainy day.  Unless you're cuing up some blues by Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, or BB King.  Or Motown.  I believe that the use of contractions in writing is the product of a classic education and their use often misunderstood by writers today.  And I believe that guys of my generation still get a thrill at watching reruns of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Mr. Peabody and Sherman (with the Wayback Machine), and Fractured Fairy tales, as well as Jonny Quest.  That's it for now.  Hope to see you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment